Catherine Wilson Cox PhD, RN, CEN, CNE, CCRN, FAAN
Catherine Wilson Cox, Ph.D., RN, CEN, CNE, CCRN, FAAN, comes to GW Nursing from the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) in Washington, D.C., where she was Director of Programs from 2012 through 2016. At AACN, she spearheaded an annual operating budget of $2.0 million while planning, implementing and evaluating over 30 national events for faculty who teach at the bachelor's, master’s and doctoral levels, along with the deans and administrators responsible for those programs.
She started her career as a Navy nurse in the ICU at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, MD, and in 2014 retired as a Captain from the U.S. Navy Reserves. She has taught nursing at Marymount University, Georgetown University and the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. As a Navy spouse, she has lived and traveled not only in the United States but also in Okinawa, Japan, and the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- Rear Admiral Mary F. Hall Award for a Nursing Publication, Research Category (Topic: Research Considerations When Studying Disasters) (2008)
- Third place winner for military nurses, Karen A. Rieder Research/Federal Nursing Poster Session (Topic: The Retention of Recalled Navy Nurse Reservists) — Association of Military Surgeons of the United States (2008)
- Pinnacle Regional Award for a Research Dissertation — Sigma Theta Tau International (2002)
- Honor Society Inductee — Sigma Theta Tau International (1988)
- George Mason University – PhD (2002)
- Marymount University – Master of Science in Nursing (1988)
- Radford University – Bachelor of Science in Nursing (1981)
- Wiersma, G., Cox, C.W., Schumann, M.J., McNelis, A., & Maring, J. (2021). Faculty perceptions in facilitating success for accelerated BSN student veterans. Nursing Education Perspectives, 42(3), 165-167. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NEP.0000000000000673
- Cox, C.W. (2019). Military students’ strengths and challenges based on their military experiences: An integrative review. Journal of Nursing Education. 58(7), 392-400. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20190614-03
- Cox, C.W. (2019). Best practice tips for the assessment of learning of undergraduate nursing students via multiple-choice questions. Nursing Education Perspectives, 40(4), 228-230. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NEP.0000000000000456.
- Cox, C.W. (2019). Remembering the sacrifices of veterans and their loved ones. Nursing, 49(5), 49-50. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NURSE.0000554626.07132.f8
- Cox, C.W. (2018). 10 Steps for a planning a successful conference. American Nurse Today, 13(5), 47-49. Retrieved from https://www.americannursetoday.com/10-steps-planning-successful-conference/
- Cox, C.W. (2013). The heart and peripheral vasculature. In M.E.Z. Estes (Ed.), Health Assessment and Physical Examination, 5th ed. New York: Delmar Publishers.
- Buchanan, C., Kemppainen, J., Smith, S., MacKain, S., & Cox, C. W. (2011). Awareness of posttraumatic stress disorder in veterans: a female spouse/intimate partner perspective. Military Medicine, 176, 743-751.
- Cox, C.W., Relf, M.V., Chen, R., & Zangaro, G. A. (2010). The retention of recalled Navy nurse reservists. Nursing Outlook, 58(4), 214-220.
- Cox, C.W. (2008). Research considerations when studying disasters. Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America 20(1), 111-119.
- Cox, C.W. (2008). Manmade disasters: a historical review of terrorism and implications for the future. OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 13(1).
- Amar, A.F., & Cox, C.W. (2006). Intimate partner violence: implications for critical care nursing. Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America, 18(3), 287-296.
- Norton, C.K., Relf, M.V., Cox, C.W., Farley, J., Lachat, M., Tucker M., & Murray, J.P. (2006). Ensuring NCLEX-RN success for first time test-takers: one baccalaureate nursing program’s triumphant account. Journal of Professional Nursing, 22(5), 322-326.
- Cox, C.W. (2005). Shipboard nursing on aircraft carriers: the perceptions of twelve Navy nurses. Nursing Outlook, 53(5), 247-252.