For All GW Nursing Students
Acknowledgment of Risk/Personal Responsibilities
All GW Nursing students are required to sign the GW Nursing Clinical Programs Acknowledgement of Risk and Personal Responsibilities form prior to being cleared to enter the clinical setting.
Consent for COVID-19 Testing
All students must sign a consent to be tested for COVID-19. If you have not already done so please access and sign the consent form. Please note, only one form is needed for the semester.
Flu Vaccination Requirement
Flu vaccines are required for all on-campus students. Instructions to upload flu vaccination documentation can be found here.
For Accelerated B.S.N. Students
Accelerated B.S.N. students are required to have a baseline COVID-19 test prior to entering the lab and/or clinical setting and will be tested on a weekly basis thereafter. This testing will be done by George Washington University (GWU) and will be free of charge. Once the baseline test has been conducted, students are expected to self-quarantine for four days and schedule a second COVID-19 test for the following week.
Procedures for COVID-19 Testing
Accelerated B.S.N. students are expected to undergo weekly COVID-19 testing. Failure to schedule and arrive for weekly testing will result in the loss of access to campus facilities. Failure to undergo testing as required may also result in the inability to attend clinical and/or lab. Students will schedule an appointment for testing through the GW Colonial Health Center medical portal.
GWorld ID card and government-issued identification must be presented at the time of testing each week for verification of name, date of birth, and GWU identification (GWID) number.
COVID-19 testing is available at two locations:
1) Virginia Science and Technology Campus (VSTC): Enterprise Hall, located at 44983 Knoll Square, Ashburn, VA 20147.
2) Foggy Bottom Campus:
- Asymptomatic Testing: Marvin Center Grand Ballroom, located at 800 21st Street, NW.
- Symptomatic Testing: Shenkman Hall, located at 616 23rd Street, NW.
Baseline COVID-19 Testing and Quarantine Guidelines
- Until further notice, those who have received COVID-19 vaccination are still required to have a baseline COVID-19 test on January 7 or 8.
- All students must schedule an appointment for baseline COVID-19 testing on January 7 or 8. Students are expected to self-quarantine over the next four days and schedule a second COVID-19 test for January 11 or 12.
- All appointments for baseline COVID-19 testing on January 7 or 8 must be scheduled for no later than 3 p.m. ET. Appointment requests should be made by Monday, January 4 using the GW Colonial Health Center medical portal.
- Baseline COVID-19 testing will be held at Enterprise Hall at VSTC.
- Instructions for how to access the medical portal can be found here.
- Please do not arrive for COVID-19 testing or mask fitting without making an appointment.
- If you are not able to make an appointment during an available time slot please contact Mary Pearce, Director of Student Services, for further instructions.
- Subsequent weekly testing may be done at the Smith Center on the Foggy Bottom Campus if that is more convenient for students.
- If you are being tested, you are not permitted to bring companions with you into the testing center.
- In an effort to minimize potential exposure and transmission of COVID-19, children are not permitted inside the testing center.
- Please remove nose piercings prior to arrival. Piercings interfere with COVID-19 sample collection and may cause unnecessary discomfort during the sample collection procedure
N95 Mask Fitting
- Students will also be fit tested for an N95 respirator mask at the time of baseline COVID-19 testing. All appointment requests for mask fitting must be made here no later than 4 p.m. ET on Monday, January 4.
- Mask fitting cannot be done if you have a beard. A graphic of acceptable facial hairstyles for those wearing respirator masks can be found here. Failure to have your mask fitting may delay entrance into the lab and/or clinical. If you are unable to shave your beard due to religious and/or faith-based reasons, please notify Dr. Mark Tanner, assistant dean of the Accelerated B.S.N. program, so that an alternative to the N95 mask may be arranged.
About COVID-19 Testing at GW Nursing
COVID-19 testing is available on the Virginia Science and Technology Campus (VSTC) at Enterprise Hall (44983 Knoll Square, Ashburn, VA 20147) and the Foggy Bottom Campus. Students will schedule an appointment for testing using an automated scheduling platform called Point and Click. You will receive an email with instructions on how to access the platform. To access the platform, enter your GW email and password; then will you be able to schedule an appointment. Confirmation of appointment date and time via GW email or mobile device. We strongly encourage you to schedule weekly testing appointments in advance. GWorld ID card and government-issued identification MUST be presented at the time of testing each week for verification of name, date of birth, and GWU identification (GWID) number
GW will use the anterior nasal swab method of sample collection for COVID-19 testing. Specimens will be collected by a healthcare professional wearing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE). Students should allow 24-48 hours for test results.
Accelerated B.S.N. Students
Students will receive notification via their GWU email or text message that test results are available. You will then be prompted to log in to a secure website where you can view the test results. Students that test positive for COVID-19 are expected to immediately remove themselves from the clinical setting and/or lab and notify the GW Nursing Director of Student Services. Students are encouraged to maintain confidentiality regarding test results. Student absence related to illness, exposure, or quarantine will be conveyed to the appropriate faculty by the Director of Student Services. Positive test results and contact tracing will be managed in accordance with COVID-19 reporting regulations. Students testing positive will be contacted by a public health interview specialist from the GWU School of Public Health, the Department of Health in the location of their residence, and the Loudoun County, Virginia Department of Health. Contact tracing will be initiated in accordance with CDC recommendations for contact tracing. Isolation and/or quarantine requirements will be shared with you by the contact tracing team. If needed, counseling and mental health services will be available at the Colonial Health Center and may be accessed in-person or remotely.
Nurse practitioner (NP) and nursing leadership and management (NLM) students are not subject to baseline or weekly COVID-19 testing. In the event that a graduate student tests positive for COVID-19, they are expected to notify their clinical experience faculty (CEF) and/or practicum faculty and follow the positive test protocol in place at the clinical/practicum site. If needed, counseling and mental health services will be available at the Colonial Health Center and may be accessed in-person or remotely.
All GW Nursing students are expected to follow CDC Return to Work Guidelines for Healthcare Personnel with COVID-19 Infection. Documentation of medical clearance must be provided by GWU Colonial Health Center prior to returning to lab and/or clinical. Services at the Colonial Health Center may be accessed in-person or remotely.
Understanding your Badge Status