Gretchen Wiersma DNP, RN, CPN, CNE
Gretchen Wiersma, DNP, RN, CPN, CNE, is an assistant professor and veterans and military faculty liaison for the George Washington University School of Nursing. Dr. Wiersma is a nurse educator, clinician and researcher who began her nursing career in 1987 as a 2nd Lieutenant in the United States Army. She worked in many capacities during her 10 years in the army but found pediatric nursing to be her clinical passion. After the army, she continued to work in pediatrics and in 2001 began working in nursing education at an ADN program teaching pediatrics. She has since worked as a nurse educator at several schools and has been with the GW School of Nursing since 2010 and found her new passion: nursing education.
- Her work focuses on understanding the role of clinical education and its impact on the new graduate nurse. She is particularly interested in how changing and adapting teaching modalities in the classroom and clinical settings might better align the new graduate nurse to successfully transition into the role of professional nurse.
- An area of particular focus is to assist veterans in succeeding in nursing school and as a professional nurse.
- George Washington University School of Nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice (2016)
- University of Washington, Master of Science in Nursing (1995)
- University of Oklahoma, Master's of Human Relations (1993)
- University of Pittsburgh, Bachelor of Science in Nursing (1987)