- Assistant Professor
- Virginia Science and Technology Campus
- Innovation Hall
45085 University Drive
Ashburn, Virginia 20147
- [email protected]
Jeanne Murphy, PhD, CNM, FACNM, is an assistant professor of nursing in the faculty community of Policy, Populations and Systems. Prior to joining the George Washington University, Dr. Murphy was a program officer in the Healthcare Delivery and Disparities Research Program at Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute. She completed her post-doctoral Cancer Prevention Fellowship with the Division of Cancer Prevention at the National Cancer Institute, where she designed and conducted research projects on prevention of breast and cervical cancer. Her doctoral dissertation featured a randomized clinical trial of self-collected HPV testing and results counseling as an intervention to improve cervical cancer screening in a group of women living with HIV infection. Dr. Murphy is a practicing certified nurse-midwife with special interests in lactation, colposcopy and care of underserved women. She works as a nurse-midwife at University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center and has been a fellow of the American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology since 1998.
- Molecular analysis of human breastmilk for breast cancer prevention
- Lactation and cervical HPV infection in a longitudinal cohort study
- Cervical cancer screening in women with immunosuppression
- Midwifery and care of women with opioid use disorder
- The Johns Hopkins University, Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing
- The Johns Hopkins University, Graduate Certificate in Health Disparities and Health Inequality
- Yale University, Master of Science in Nursing in Maternal/Newborn Nursing/Nurse-Midwifery, Certificate in Diabetes Care
- Springfield Technical Community College, Associate of Science in Nursing
- Brown University, Bachelor of Arts in Comparative Literature: English/Spanish
- Coyne KS, Margolis MK, Murphy J, Spies J. Validation of the UFS-QOL-hysterectomy questionnaire: modifying an existing measure for comparative effectiveness research. Value Health. 2012 Jul;15(5):674-9. doi:10.1016/j.jval.2012.03.1387
- Murphy J, Mark H. Cervical Cancer Screening in the Era of Human Papillomavirus Testing and Vaccination. J Midwifery Womens Health. 2012 Nov-Dec;57(6):569-76. doi:10.1111/j.1542-2011.2012.00207.x.
- Tandon SD, Colon L, Vega P, Murphy J. Alonso A. Birth outcomes associated with receipt of group prenatal care among low-income Hispanic women. J Midwifery Womens Health. Sep 2012;57(5):476-481. doi:10.1111/j.1542-2011.2012.00184.x.
- Paterno MT, Van Zandt SE, Murphy J, & Jordan ET. Evaluation of a student-nurse doula program: An analysis of doula interventions and their impact on labor analgesia and cesarean delivery. J Midwifery Womens Health. 2012 Jan-Feb;57(1):28-34. doi:10.1111/j.1542-2011.2011.00091.x.
- Farley JE, Hayat MJ, Murphy J, Sheridan-Malone, E, Mark H, & Anderson J. Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices of OB/GYN Nurses and Auxiliary Staff in the Care of Pregnant Women Living with HIV. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2013 Jul 19. doi: S1055-3290(13)00085-X. doi:10.1016/j.jana.2013.04.004.
- Murphy J, Samples J, Morales M, Shadbeh N. “They talk like that, but we keep working”: Sexual harassment and sexual assault experiences among Mexican Indigenous farmworker women in Oregon. Journal Immigrant Minority Health. 2015 Dec;17(6):1834-9. doi:10.1007/s10903-014-9992-z.
- Murphy J, Mark H, Anderson J, Farley J, Allen J. A randomized trial of human papillomavirus self-sampling as an intervention to promote cervical cancer screening in women with HIV. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2016, Apr;20(2):139-44. doi: 10.1097/LGT.0000000000000195.
- Murphy J, Sherman ME, Browne EP, Caballero AI, Pfeiffer, R, Punska EC, Gierach GG, Yang HP, Lee M, Yang H, Arcaro K. Potential of breastmilk analysis to inform early events in breast carcinogenesis: rationale and considerations. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016 May;157(1):13-22. doi: 10.1007/s10549-016-3796-x.
- Murphy, J, Mollica, M. All hands on deck: Nurses and cancer care delivery in women’s health. Front Oncol, 22 July 2016. doi:10.3389/fonc.2016.00174
- Gray TF*, Cudjoe J*, Murphy, J, Wenzel J, Thorpe R, Han H. Disparities in Cancer Screening Practices among Minority and Underrepresented Populations. Sem Onc Nursing. 2017 May;33(2):184-198. doi:10.1016/j.soncn.2017.02.008
- Loud, J, Murphy, J. Cancer screening and early detection in the 21st century. Sem Onc Nursing. 2017 May;33(2):121-128. doi:10.1016/j.soncn.2017.02.002
- Mullooly, M*, Murphy, J*, Gierach, G, Walsh, P, Deady, S, Barron, TI, Sherman, ME, Rosenberg, PS, Anderson, WA. Estrogen receptor and human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 breast cancer trends in Ireland (2004-2013). European Journal of Cancer. 2017:86:326-333. doi: 10.1016/j.ejca.2017.08.031
Note: *co-first authors
- Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health
- Mary Ann Shah New Author Award, Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health
- Nursing Science Advancement Dissertation Grant Award, Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science/Southern Nursing Research Society
- National Research Service Award F31 NR013633, “A Test of an Intervention to Improve Pap Testing among Women with HIV,” National Institute of Nursing Research, National Institutes of Health
- ThinkSwiss Travel Grant, Swiss Confederation/Institute of Nursing Science University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
- Fellowship in American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- NCTE Achievement Award in Writing