- Assistant Professor
- Foggy Bottom Campus
- 1919 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, District Of Columbia 20006
- [email protected]
Jess Calohan, DNP, PMHNP-BC, recently retired from the United States Army after 20 years of distinguished service. He has held multiple leadership positions within the Army Medical Department, contributed to military mental health policy and reshaped clinical practice in treating combat-related sleep disturbances in both Veteran’s Affairs and Military Health Systems.
Dr. Calohan has more than 18 years of experience treating service members with PTSD in both deployed and non-deployed settings. He is a recognized expert in treating combat-related PTSD, presenting nationally and internationally with multiple peer-reviewed publications. He was awarded the prestigious “A” designator by the United States Army Surgeon General in 2013, an honor given to less than 5 percent of Army medical officers, in recognition of his expertise and significant contributions to military medicine. He also earned multiple military awards; most notably the Bronze Star and Defense Meritorious Service Medal.
He most recently served as the Program Director for the PMHNP DNP program within the Daniel K. Inouye School of Nursing, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. He now serves as an Assistant Professor at The George Washington University School of Nursing and maintains a telepsychiatry practice that serves rural and underserved populations.
- University of Washington, Doctor of Nursing Practice (2012)
- University of Washington, Master of Science in Nursing (2005)
- Eastern Washington University, Bachelor of Science in Nursing (1997)
- Calohan, J., Pauli, E., Combs, T., Creel, A., Convoy, S. & Owen, R. (2016). Using Simulation in a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Doctoral Program. Journal of Professional Nursing.
- Calohan, J. (2015). Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder In A.H. & R.H. (Eds.). Clinical Guidelines in Primary Care: A Reference and Review Book. Advanced Practice Education Associates: Scott, LA.
- Calohan, J. (2015). Depression and Suicide In A.H. & R.H. (Eds.). Clinical Guidelines in Primary Care: A Reference and Review Book. Advanced Practice Education Associates: Scott, LA.
- Peterson, K., Lester, P. Calohan, J. & Azad, A. (2014). Deployment-Related Care for Military Children and Families. Care of Service Members, Veterans, and Their Families. American Psychiatric Association Publishing: Arlington, VA.
- Raskind, M., Peterson, K., Williams, T., Hoff, D., Hart, K., Holmes, H., Homas, D., Hill, J., Daniels, C., Calohan, J. et al. (2013). A Trial of Prazosin for Combat Trauma PTSD With Nightmares in Active-Duty Soldiers Returned From Iraq and Afghanistan. American Journal of Psychiatry.
- “A” Proficiency Designator, Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing — Surgeon General, United States Army
- Order of Military Medical Merit — Distinguished service recognition by Senior Army Medical Leaders
- Chief, Army Nurse Corps Award of Excellence, Active Component