Joyce Ann Hahn
Joyce Ann Hahn, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, FNAP, FAAN, is a founding faculty member at GW Nursing and brings extensive knowledge and expertise in nursing education, nursing leadership, quality, regulatory issues, policy and health care delivery issues to the classroom setting. Dr. Hahn has held clinical and administrative positions in a variety of health care arenas, including acute care and community settings. Prior to her appointment here, Dr. Hahn was the assistant dean for the Master's Division in the School of Nursing at George Mason University. Dr. Hahn presents at local and international conferences on the topics of nursing education, leadership, research, global health and health care policy. She was a keynote presenter in Singapore at the Third Worldwide Conference of Nurses in 2015.
Dr. Hahn has extensive experience bringing together nurses to work in an effective and collaborative manner demonstrated by her leadership roles in the Virginia Nurses Association serving as the Commissioner on Government Affairs and co-chair of the Legislative Coalition of Virginia Nurses, and as the first Executive Director of the Nursing Alliance for Quality Care, a Robert Wood Johnson-funded initiative. She is currently active in the Virginia Action Coalition, a statewide nursing response to implement the IOM report, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health, serving on both the Education and Leadership committees.
Dr. Hahn has published several articles in peer-reviewed journals including JONA, Nursing Economics, Nursing Management, MEDSURG Nursing, Outcomes Management for Nursing Practice and The Journal for Healthcare Quality. She currently serves as a peer reviewer for scholarly nursing publications to include Nursing Economics, Nursing Forum and the Journal of Nursing Management. She has received three gubernatorial appointments to the Virginia Board of Nursing where she is currently serving as the President of the Board of Nursing and Chair of the Education Committee. Dr. Hahn has also served on the Joint Board of Medicine and Nursing for the Commonwealth of Virginia. Additional community service has included an appointment to the Fauquier Hospital Board of Directors Patient Safety and Quality Oversight Committee. She is a Gold Award Recipient from President Barack Obama for her volunteer hours served in the community.
- Caring for the Community Award — Sigma Theta Tau, Epsilon Zeta Chapter (2011)
- Meritorious Service to Nursing and the Citizens of the Commonwealth — The Virginia Board of Nursing (2012)
- Leadership Excellence Award — Virginia Nurses Foundation (2013)
- Fellow (Distinguished Scholar) — National Academies of Practice (2014)
- President — Virginia Board of Nursing (2015 – 2016)
- Nancy Vance Award — Virginia Nurses Foundation (2016)
- Social Capital
- APRN Regulatory Licensure Requirements
- George Mason University, Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing
- George Mason University, Master of Science in Nursing
- George Mason University, Certificate in Quality Outcomes
- University of the State of New York, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Hahn, J.A. (2018). The perceptions and experiences of national regulatory leaders in advancing the advanced practice registered nurse compact policy agenda. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners: doi: 10.1097/JXX.0000000000000135
- Hahn, J.A. (2018). The American Opioid Epidemic: A policy update. Virginia Nurses Today, 26(2), 7.
- Hahn, J.A. (2018). Using regulatory policy and the science of simulation to develop a culture of excellence. Clinical Simulation, 17, 72-73.
- Hahn, J.A. & Cook, W. (2018). Lessons learned from nurse practitioner independent practice: A conversation with a nurse practitioner entrepreneur. Nursing Economics, 36(1), p.18-22.
- Hahn, J.A. (2018). Chapter 13. Private Health Insurance Markets. In Nickitas, D., Middaugh, D. & Feeg, V. (Eds) Policy and Politics: For nurses and other health professionals. 3rd edition. Sudbury: MA: Jones and Bartlett.
- Hahn, J.A. (2017). Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP): A policy update. Virginia Nurses Today, 25(4), 19.
- Hahn, J.A. (2017) Repeal? Replace? What’s Next? A policy update. Virginia Nurses Today, 25(3), 12, 13
- Hahn, J.A. (2016). The Affordable Care Act at the 6 yr. Mark: A Policy Update. Virginia Nurses Today. 24(3), 6-7.
- Hahn, J.A. (2015). Global health care: Implications for Nursing. Journal of Nursing and Health Care. 3(1). 165-170.
- Hahn, J.A. (2015). ACA and expanded healthcare coverage after healthcare second open enrollment period: A policy update. Virginia Nurses Today.23(4), 1,12.
- Hahn, J.A. & Sheingold, B.H. (2014). Chapter 14: Private Health Insurance Market. In Nickitas, D., Middaugh, D., & Aries, N. (Eds.). Policy and Politics: For Nurses and Other Health Professionals. 2nd edition. Sudbury: MA: Jones and Barlett.
- Sheingold, B.H. & Hahn, J.A. (2014). Chapter 10: Innovation for the Delivery System of the Future: Medical Homes and Accountable Care Organizations. In Nickitas, D., Middaugh, D., & Aries, N. (Eds.). Policy and Politics: For Nurses and Other Health Professionals. 2nd edition. Sudbury: MA: Jones and Barlett.
- Sheingold, B.H. & Hahn, J.A.(2014). The History of Healthcare Quality: The First 100 Years 1860-1960. International Journal of Africa Nursing Sciences. 1(1), 18-22.
- Hahn, J.A. & Sheingold, B.H. (2014). Medicaid Expansion: A policy update. Virginia Nurses Today. 22(1), 5-6.
- Hahn, J.A., Sheingold, B.H., Ott, K.M. (2014). The ACA state insurance marketplaces: A toolkit for case managers. Professional Case Management. 19(1), 39-45.
- Hahn, J.A., Sheingold, B.H. (2013). Medicaid expansion: The dynamic health care policy landscape. Nursing Economics.31 (6), 267-272.
- Hahn, J., Sheingold, B.H. & Ott, K. (2013). State health insurance marketplaces: A policy update. Virginia Nurses Today. 21(3), 12-13.
- Hahn, J., Sheingold, B., & Ott, K. (2013). Demystifying the State Health Insurance Marketplace. Nursing Economics. 31(3), 119-143.
- Lang, C. & Hahn J. (2013). BLAST Model: An innovative approach to prepare second degree BSN Students for inpatient psychiatric clinical experiences. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing.51(3). 38-45.
- Sheingold, B., Hahn, J. & Hofmeyer, A. (2013). Hiding in plain sight: Building community social capital in distance education graduate programs. Contemporary Issues in Education Research. 6(2), 265-271.
- Hahn, J. & Davis, P. (2012). Integrating a Peer Reviewer QSEN Framework into a Pediatric Virtual Hospital Simulation Experience. Leader to Leader, Fall, 10-13.
- Hahn, J & Dohmann, E. L. (2011). How to practice accountability so that excellence happens. Nursing Management, 42(11).
- Hahn, J. (2011). Managing Multiple Generations: Scenarios from the Workplace, Nursing Forum, 46(3), 119-127.
- Hahn, J. (producer) & Cook, W. (Contributor). Lessons learned from nurse practitioner independent practice: A conversation with a nurse practitioner entrepreneur [audio podcast]. 2018 January 19. http://www.nursingeconomics.net