The Center for Health Policy and Media Engagement Senior Fellowship is housed within the George Washington University School of Nursing. The Center seeks to build and maintain strong and diverse leadership, a workforce skilled in health policy, and an understanding of the role of media in influencing policy. HealthCetera is the media platform of the Center, providing evidence-based news, analysis and commentary by diverse, dynamic, front-line experts discussing the latest real-world effects of health care and health policy. HealthCetera includes a blog, radio programming and a podcast.
The fellowship provides the opportunity to expand one’s expertise in the areas of health policy and media engagement. It is a part-time opportunity over two years that can be done remotely. Fellows will be assigned a mentor and asked to complete a research or policy project. They are expected to write for the blog and produce radio and podcasts.
Who can apply
The Senior Fellowship is open to health care professionals (e.g., nurses, social workers, pharmacists, dentists, psychologists, physicians, public health professionals), senior-level journalists, policy analysts and researchers. Applicants should demonstrate an interest in and commitment to health and understanding health policy at the federal, state or local levels. Current fellows will be mentored by past fellows, program co-directors and National Advisory Council members.
Length of Fellowship and Stipend
Fellowships are two-year terms with a yearly stipend of $1,000; fellowship terms are renewable. Up to three fellows are accepted each year.
Applicants must propose a research, policy or media project. The project should focus on a health policy issue (government policy at the national/state/local level) with clear objectives. Submit your idea and application to [email protected].
Members of the Center for Health Policy and Media Engagement’s National Advisory Council will evaluate each applicant based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing knowledge about policy and the health of vulnerable and at-risk populations such as children, the elderly and the economically disadvantaged
- Demonstrated interest in health policy
- Commitment to advance the knowledge among media of the depth, scope and breadth of nursing and allied health professionals’ impact on health policy to further their reporting and analysis
- Clear relationship between the proposed project and individual plans for incorporating media to advance the conversation on health policy with the public throughout their fellowship and in their future professional plans
- Leadership potential
- Alignment of project proposal with the Center’s mission and aims, and feasibility of the project
About The Center for Health Policy and Media Engagement
The Center for Health Policy and Media Engagement is committed to raising visibility across health care disciplines to educate the public about their expertise, perspectives and work. Developing the right health and social policies for the nation depends upon doing so.
- Educate nurses, allied health professionals and students in health policy and media.
- Use research and scholarship to inform policy discussions and solutions.
- Design curricula, experiences and mentorships that support nurses and allied health professionals as leaders in advancing the health of populations and policies that improve delivery systems for high-quality care.
- Increase knowledge and skills of nurses and allied health professionals in using the media to disseminate research and informed perspectives that will shape health policy.
- Engage the public in discussions of health policy with nurses, allied health professionals and journalists.
Questions? Email [email protected].
- Center for Health Policy and Media Engagement
- Teaching Excellence
- Center for Global and Community Initiatives
- Center for Aging, Health and Humanities
- Health Workforce Institute
- Open Educational Resources
- Ventures, Initiatives and Partnerships
1919 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, D.C. 20006
45085 University Dr
Ashburn, Virginia 20147