GW will require students, faculty, and staff who are in person this fall to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to arriving on campus. For students currently residing in the U.S., we are requiring the final dose to be completed two weeks prior to being on campus. You need to upload proof of your vaccination at least 2 weeks prior to coming to campus and no later than August 1. In situations for uploading proof are below.
All students, faculty, and staff who are in person this fall are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Students currently residing in the U.S. must have their final dose completed two weeks prior to being on campus.
The following guidelines will apply to this new requirement:
- Any vaccine authorized by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO) will be accepted. This information may change as the FDA and WHO authorize (or approve) additional vaccines.
- Current students, faculty, and staff should upload their vaccination card to the medical portal. Instructions for this process are available here.
- GW will grant limited exemptions, such as for medical or religious reasons.
- All GW community members who come to campus are required to be vaccinated. Students who are online-only and faculty and staff approved to work 100 percent remotely will not be required to have received the vaccine.
- GW will exercise discretion in enforcing the mandate for those who have extenuating circumstances that are beyond their control and that will cause delays in vaccination.
GW Nursing Requirements
For All GW Nursing Students
Acknowledgment of Risk/Personal Responsibilities
All GW Nursing students are required to sign the GW Nursing Clinical Programs Acknowledgement of Risk and Personal Responsibilities form prior to being cleared to enter the clinical setting.
Consent for COVID-19 Testing
All students must sign a consent to be tested for COVID-19. If you have not already done so please access and sign the consent form. Please note, only one form is needed for the semester.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements
All students who are in person this semester are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Students currently residing in the U.S. must have final dose completed two weeks prior to being on campus.
Flu Vaccination Requirements
Flu vaccines are required for all on-campus students.
For Accelerated B.S.N. Students
Unvaccinated Accelerated B.S.N. students are required to receive an exemption for medical or religious reasons.
If you are unvaccinated you are also required to have a baseline COVID-19 test prior to entering the lab and/or clinical setting and will be tested on a weekly basis thereafter. This testing will be done by George Washington University (GWU) and will be free of charge. Once the baseline test has been conducted, students are expected to self-quarantine for four days and schedule a second COVID-19 test for the following week.
- Procedures for COVID-19 Testing
- Baseline COVID-19 Testing and Quarantine Guidelines
- N95 Mask Fitting
Unvaccinated Accelerated B.S.N. students are expected to undergo weekly COVID-19 testing. Failure to schedule and arrive for weekly testing will result in the loss of access to campus facilities. Failure to undergo testing as required may also result in the inability to attend clinical and/or lab. Students will schedule an appointment for testing through the GW Colonial Health Center medical portal.
GWorld ID card and a government-issued identification must be presented at the time of testing each week for verification of name, date of birth, and GWU identification (GWID) number.
COVID-19 testing is available at two locations:
- Virginia Science and Technology Campus (VSTC):
Enterprise Hall, located at 44983 Knoll Square, Ashburn, VA 20147
Thursdays ONLY between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Foggy Bottom Campus: (this location is subject to change prior to August 26, 2021. Please check the University Testing & Tracing page for current locations.)
- Asymptomatic Testing: University Student Center, located at 800 21st Street, NW.
- Symptomatic Testing: Shenkman Hall, located at 616 23rd Street, NW.
- Non-vaccinated students must schedule an appointment for baseline COVID-19 testing. Students are expected to self-quarantine over the next four days and schedule a second COVID-19 test within the first week of classes.
- The following is required in order to participate in simulation and lab activities:
- the second test MUST be completed
- results received
- COVID Badge status MUST be Green
- Please note, there is no possibility to attend these activities virtually.
- Baseline COVID-19 testing will be held at Enterprise Hall at VSTC. Please note, that the VSTC testing site is open Thursdays ONLY between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Appointment requests should be made using the GW Colonial Health Center medical portal.
How to access the medial portal
- Please do not arrive for COVID-19 testing without making an appointment.
- Students who are not able to make an appointment during an available time slot please contact Mary Pearce, Director of Student Services, for further instructions.
- Subsequent monthly testing for vaccinated people and weekly testing for exempted unvaccinated people may be done at the Smith Center on the Foggy Bottom Campus if that is more convenient for students. The Foggy Bottom testing site is open Monday through Friday.
- If you are being tested, you are not permitted to bring companions with you into the testing center.
- In an effort to minimize potential exposure and transmission of COVID-19, children are not permitted inside the testing center.
- Please remove nose piercings prior to arrival. Piercings interfere with COVID-19 sample collection and may cause unnecessary discomfort during the sample collection procedure
- For new students, Accelerated B.S.N. N95 Mask fit testing will be held:
Thursday, August 26, 2021 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. in Innovation Hall
- Mask fitting cannot be done if you have a beard. For guidance, please view this graphic of acceptable facial hairstyles for those wearing respirator masks. Failure to have your mask fitting may delay entrance into the lab and/or clinical. If you are unable to shave your beard due to religious and/or faith-based reasons, please notify Crystel Farina, Director of Simulation and Experiential Learning, so that an alternative to the N95 mask may be arranged.
About COVID-19 Testing at GW Nursing
COVID-19 testing is available at the Virginia Science and Technology Campus (Thursdays Only / 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.) and Foggy Bottom Campus (Monday – Friday). Students will schedule an appointment for testing using an automated scheduling platform called Point and Click (PnC). You will receive an email with instructions on how to access the platform. To access the platform, you must first enter your GW email and password; then will you be able to schedule an appointment. Confirmation of appointment date and time will be received via GW email or mobile device. We strongly encourage you to schedule weekly testing appointments in advance. GWorld ID card and government-issued identification MUST be presented at the time of testing each week for verification of name, date of birth, and GWU identification (GWID) number
Accelerated B.S.N. Students
Students will receive notification via their GWU email or text message that test results are available. You will then be prompted to log in to a secure website where you can view the test results. Students that test positive for COVID-19 are expected to immediately remove themselves from the clinical setting and/or lab and notify the GW Nursing Director of Student Services. Students are encouraged to maintain confidentiality regarding test results. Student absence related to illness, exposure, or quarantine will be conveyed to the appropriate faculty by the Director of Student Services. Positive test results and contact tracing will be managed in accordance with COVID-19 reporting regulations. Students testing positive will be contacted by a public health interview specialist from the GWU School of Public Health, the Department of Health in the location of their residence, and the Loudoun County, Virginia Department of Health. Contact tracing will be initiated in accordance with CDC recommendations for contact tracing. Isolation and/or quarantine requirements will be shared with you by the contact tracing team. If needed, counseling and mental health services will be available at the Colonial Health Center and may be accessed in-person or remotely.
Nurse practitioner (NP) and nursing leadership and management (NLM) students are not subject to baseline or weekly COVID-19 testing. In the event that a graduate student tests positive for COVID-19, they are expected to notify their clinical experience faculty (CEF) and/or practicum faculty and follow the positive test protocol in place at the clinical/practicum site. If needed, counseling and mental health services will be available at the Colonial Health Center and may be accessed in-person or remotely.
All GW Nursing students are expected to follow CDC Return to Work Guidelines for Healthcare Personnel with COVID-19 Infection. Documentation of medical clearance must be provided by GWU Colonial Health Center prior to returning to the lab and/or clinical. Services at the Colonial Health Center may be accessed in-person or remotely.
Understanding your Badge Status