- GW Home
- Our Location
- Admissions & Aid
- GW Experience
- Faculty & Staff
This orientation will highlight some of the important resources you’ll need to be a successful online student at GWU.
- Activate Your GW Email Address and NetID
Your NetID (the first part of your GW email address) is used for many online services including logging into email, Blackboard and technology services. Once you activate your GW email address, be sure to check your account frequently for university messages.
Please follow the steps below to activate your technology accounts.
GWid is your student identity number given to you at the time you applied. If you know your GWid, you can proceed to step 2
- Click here to open the GWid site
- Click on "Retrieve your GWid now!"
- Follow the retrieval instructions for "SSN + Date of Birth"
- Your GWid will appear on the page
- Once you have retrieved your GWid, write it down and keep it in a safe place.
If you submitted your deposit online, you have already changed your PIN and you can proceed to Step 3.
- Click here to log into the GWeb Information System
- Enter your GWid in the "User ID" field
- Enter your default PIN (MMDDYY of your birthday) and log in
- Change your PIN by going to the Personal Information Menu
- You will use your GWid and PIN to register for classes
- Create your NetID and GW e-mail address
- Visit the Account Creation page and click Claim an Account.
- Create your NetID - you will need your GWid and PIN to create your NetID
- Once you have created your account, make sure to remember your NetID and password .
You can now access the following online services
- GW E-mail at: http://my.gwu.edu
- GW Blackboard at: https://blackboard.gwu.edu
- GW IT Help & Technology Services at: https://it.gwu.edu/
2. Explore and bookmark your myGW portal
4. Review academic readiness and netiquette guidelines:
- Academic Readiness: The Graduate School Bootcamp
- What is Netiquette and Why is it important?
- How to Follow Proper Netiquette Rules
- The Core Rules of Netiquette
5. Blackboard & Computer Technology
- Check your Computer Browser Compatibility with Blackboard
- Review and Bookmark Blackboard Student Help guide
- Bookmark Blackboard Student FAQs page and Blackboard Student Videos page
- Review Student Technology Guide
6. Many online courses include real-time webinar sessions using Blackboard's Collaborate tool. Review the document below to make sure your computer system is properly configured and you have the skills you need to participate effectively in these sessions. As an online learner, you will need a high-speed internet connection and computer equipped with a microphone, speakers and webcam.
- Blackboard Collaborate Instructions for New Participants
- Blackboard Collaborate First Time User's Page
7. Review Academic Policies
- Student Handbook
- GW Code of Academic Integrity
- Code of Conduct for Users of Computing Systems and Services
- Student Rights and Responsibilities
- The George Washington University Bulletin
- GW School of Nursing Bulletin
8. Resources for Academic Support
- Himmelfarb Library Services for Distance Education Programs.
- Himmelfarb Library Nursing Research Guide
- Gelman Library