The Center for Health Policy and Media Engagement at the George Washington University School of Nursing invites applicants for our Fellowship in Health Policy and Media.
Applications are invited from individuals with a record of accomplishment in education, practice, leadership or policy and a demonstrated interest in health policy. Each Fellow will develop and implement a project focusing on a specific policy area relevant to nursing. Priority will be given to projects that involve creative use of media to deliver policy information.
This unpaid, non-residential Fellowship is one year in length but may be extended for up to one additional year. Fellows will travel to Washington, D.C. at least once during the year to meet with Center faculty and staff; other work and contact will be conducted through distance technology.
Fellows will be provided with:
- Mentorship with a Center faculty member
- Opportunities to network with experts within and external to GW
- Leadership coaching
- Development of expertise in integrating policy and media
- Opportunity to expand knowledge of a specified area of health policy with the support of GW faculty expertise
- Development of ability to communicate with media and policy makers regarding an area of health policy
- Courtesy appointment as a Senior Research Service Professor
Fellows will work with a faculty mentor to identify specific deliverables and will participate in Center activities.
Who can apply
The Fellowship is open to health care professionals (e.g., nurses, social workers, pharmacists, dentists, psychologists, physicians, public health professionals), senior-level journalists, policy analysts and researchers. Applicants should demonstrate an interest in and commitment to health and understanding health policy at the federal, state or local levels.
To be considered for this Fellowship, please submit the following:
A current Curriculum Vitae
- A Statement of Purpose of no more than three pages, outlining your professional background, policy-related experience, area of interest, and an initial proposal for a project to be completed during the Fellowship. Applicants should also consult the Center website to identify one or more potential faculty mentors.
A limited number of candidates will be selected to interview (via distance technology) with Center faculty. Applications should be submitted to [email protected].
To be considered for the 2020-2021 Fellowship (starting in July), submit your applications by March 1st, 2020.
About The Center for Health Policy and Media Engagement
The Center for Health Policy and Media Engagement at The George Washington University School of Nursing is committed to…
- Increasing the visibility of nurses across health care disciplines to educate the public about their expertise, perspectives and work.
- Educating nurses, allied health professionals, and students in health policy and media.
- Using research and scholarship to inform policy discussions and solutions.
- Designing curricula, experiences and mentorships that support nurses and allied health professionals as leaders in advancing the health of populations and policies that improve delivery systems for high-quality care.
- Increasing knowledge and skills of nurses and allied health professionals in using the media to disseminate research and informed perspectives that will shape health policy.
- Engaging the public in discussions of health policy with nurses, allied health professionals and journalists.
Questions? Email [email protected].
- Center for Aging, Health and Humanities
- Global Initiatives
- Center for Health Policy and Media Engagement