Joyce Knestrick PhD, FNP-BC, FAANP
Joyce Knestrick, Ph.D., FNP-BC, FAANP is a visiting professor in the acute & chronic care faculty community. Dr. Knestrick is a family nurse practitioner from Washington, Pennsylvania. She serves as an advocate for nurse practitioners (NPs) and advanced practice nursing. Dr. Knestrick practices in rural Appalachia caring for low-income and underserved populations. She has been a family nurse practitioner for more than 25 years, a nurse educator for over 30 years and is active in maintaining high-quality education for NPs. In addition, Dr. Knestrick works at local, regional, state, and national levels to promote NP practice in education, policy, and clinical care. Her research is focused on health and access to care for low-income and rural populations, particularly women. Dr. Knestrick is a tireless champion of NPs and works to ensure that patients can choose NPs for high-quality, cost-effective health care. She is the American Association of Nurse Practitioners’ immediate past president.
- NONPF: 2019 Outstanding Policy Leader Award (2019)
- Epsilon Phi Chapter SSTI, Duquesne University (2000 - Present)
- Omicron Mu Chapter SSTI (Vice-President 2002), Wheeling Jesuit University, Charter Member (2001 - Present)
- Fellow of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (2007 - Present)
- AANP WV Advocate Award (2012)
- AANP Nurse Practitioner Excellence Award for state of WV (2008)
- Duquesne University – Ph.D. in Nursing (1999)
- West Virginia University – Master of Science in Nursing, Primary Health Nursing (1992)
- Wheeling Jesuit University – Bachelor of Science in Nursing (1988)
- Community College of Allegheny – Associate's Degree in Nursing (1985)
- Point Park College – Bachelor of Science in Chemistry (1977)
- Goolsby, M. J., & Knestrick, J. M. (2017). Effective professional networking. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 29(8), 441-445. https://doi.org/10.1002/2327-6924.12484
- Knestrick, J. M., Wilkinson, M. R., Pellathy, T. P., Lange-Kessler, J., Katz, R., & Compton, P. (2016). Predictors of retention of students in an online nurse practitioner program. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 12(9), 635–640. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2016.06.011
- Buchholtz, S. W., Klein, T. Cooke, C. ,Cook, M., Knestrick, J. & Dickins, K. (2015). Introduction to four reviews addressing critical topics identified by the 2015 Nurse Practitioner Research Agenda Roundtable. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 30(12),667-672. doi: 10.1097/JXX.0000000000000035.
- Wilkinson, M.., Turner, B., Ellis, K., Knestrick, J. M., & Bondmass, M. (2015). Online clinical education training for preceptors: A QI pilot project. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 11(7), e43-e50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2015.04.017
- Resick, L. K., Knestrick, J. M., Counts, M., & Pizzuto, L. K (2013). The meaning of health among mid-Appalachian women within the context of the environment. Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences, 3(3), 290-296. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13412-013-0119-y
- Benz, M. R., Knestrick, J. M., & Thanavaro, J. (2012). The distance education special interest group of NONPF. Nurse Practitioner, 37(8), 6. doi: 10.1097/01.NPR.0000415877.54220.db
- Knestrick, J. M., Resick, L. K., & Wink, D. (Eds.). (2011). Guidelines for distance education and enhanced technologies in nurse practitioner education (2nd ed.). Washington DC: National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties.
- Caudle, P., Bigness, J., Daniels, J., Gilmor-Kahn, M., & Knestrick, J. M. (2011). Implementing computer-based testing in distance education for advanced practice nurses: Lessons learned. Nursing Education Perspectives, 32(5), 328-332.
- Andrighetti, T. P., Knestrick, J. M., Marowitz, A., Martin, C., & Engstrom, J. L. (2011). Shoulder dystocia and postpartum hemorrhage simulations: Student confidence in managing these complications. Journal of Midwifery & Women’s Health, 57(1), 55-60. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1542-2011.2011.00085.x
- Knestrick, J. M., & Lohri- Posey, B. (2005). Women’s perceptions of spirituality and health. Gerontological Nursing, 31(10), 44-50. https://doi.org/10.3928/0098-9134-20051001-09
- Knestrick, J. M. (2005). Health savings accounts: A band-aid for a gaping health care wound. Cardinal Perspectives. Retrieved from https://doc.uments.com/s-joyce-m-knestrick-phd.pdf
- Knestrick J. M. (2002). Preceptors and Evaluation, In L. Resick (Ed.), NONPF guidelines for distance education. Washington, DC: National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties.
- Knestrick, J. M., & Milstead, J. (1998). Public policy and Title X: Child lead poisoning. Pediatric Nursing. 24(1), 37-41.
- Anderson, B. & Knestrick, J.M. (2019). Mending the maternal health safety net: Community-based strategies. In Anderson, B. & Roberts, L. (eds). The crisis of maternal health in America: Nursing implications for advocacy and practice (Ch. 8). New York: Springer Publishing Co
- Knestrick, J. M., & Counts, M. M. (2012). Developing a nurse practitioner- run center for residents in rural Appalachia. In M. de Chesnay & B. A. Anderson (Eds.), Caring for the vulnerable: Perspectives in nursing theory, practice and research (3rd ed., pp. 357-364). Burlington MA: Jones & Bartlett.
- Anderson, B.A., Knestrick, J. M. & Barroso, R. (Eds.). (2015). DNP projects: Exemplars for clinical practice. New York, NY: Springer.
- Beidler, S. M., Cooke, C., & Knestrick, J.M. (2012). Pathway to better health. Austin, TX: American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
- Garzon, D. L., Knestrick, J. M, & Richardson, B. (2010). Roadmap to teen health counseling tool. Austin, TX: American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
- George, J. B. (2010). Nursing theories: The base for professional nursing practice (6th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. Knestrick, J. M., contributor.
- Pleasants, R. A., Stoloff, S. W., Ohar, J. A, Knestrick, J. M., & Cooper, G. (2009). A pocket guide for primary care specialists: Integrating evidence into practice: Better outcomes for patients with COPD. Tamarack, PA: Prime.
- Cooke, C., & Knestrick, J. M. (2009). Benefits of soy: CEU offering. Austin, TX: American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
- Knestrick, J.M. (2007). Common illnesses of the cardiovascular system. In V. P. Niederhauser (Ed.), Core review for primary care pediatric nurse practitioners, (pp. 199-205). St. Louis, MO: Mosby.
- Knestrick, J. M. (2004). Polycystic ovarian syndrome, insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia. In B. Melnyk & E. F. Overholt (Eds.), Evidence-based practice in nursing and healthcare: A guide (pp. 464-465.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins.
- Knestrick, J.M. (1999). Dawn. In J. Kane, & C. G. Warner (Eds.), Touched by a nurse: Special moments that transform lives (pp. 31-32). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.