Dr. Joyce Pulcini
- Professor, Chair of Acute and Chronic Care Community, Director of Community and Global Initiatives
- Foggy Bottom Campus
- 1919 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, D.C. 20006
Joyce Pulcini, PhD, RN, PNP-BC, FAAN, is a professor and the chair of George Washington University School of Nursing (GW Nursing) Acute and Chronic Care Community and the director of GW Nursing Community and Global Initiatives. She is an expert on the evolving roles of nurse practitioners throughout the world, focusing on nurse practitioner education, reimbursement, political advocacy and removal of barriers to practice. Over the course of more than 30 years as a pediatric nurse practitioner, educator and author, she has become a leader in health care and nursing policy at local, state and national levels and is known for her work in the global development of advanced practice nursing and survey research she and an international team conducted on education, practice and regulation of advanced practice.
She is a fellow of the American Academy of Nursing (AAN)—serving as the inaugural chair of the AAN Expert Panel on Primary Care—a fellow of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) and a Distinguished Practitioner and former Primary Care Policy Fellow in Nursing at the National Academies of Practice. Dr. Pulcini serves as a senior associate editor for the journal Policy, Politics and Nursing Practice and has authored more than 70 peer-reviewed articles, chapters, and policy papers and two editions of a textbook on pediatric primary care. She has supported the nursing profession through her service on numerous advisory boards and panels, including the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Technical Expert Panel and the nursing research advisory committees of the National Association of School Nursing and Children’s National Medical Center.
In 2016, Dr. Pulcini received the AANP Advocate State Award for Excellence for the District of Columbia. Among her other awards and honors are the Massachusetts Coalition of Nurse Practitioners Inaugural Lifetime Achievement Award and the AANP Foundation Giving Circle Humanitarian Award.
- Global development of advanced practice nursing
- Engaging communities and school to enhance coordinated asthma care
- Brandeis University Heller School for Social Policy and Management, PhD
- Boston University, Master of Science in Nursing
- St. Anselm College, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Spina, J., Pulcini, J & McIntyre, L. (2012). An Intervention to Increase High School Students’ Compliance with Carrying Auto-injectable Epinephrine: A MASNRN Study. Journal of School Nursing, 28 (3), 230-237.
- Scarr EM, Pulcini J, Makonnen J, Turk KA, Wheeler K, Eissler LA, Schumann L, Krauskopf PB. (June 2012). International nursing partnerships. Nurse Practitioner, 37 (10), 11-12.
- Pulcini, J. (2012). The 2012 Democratic and Republican health care platforms. American Journal of Nursing, 112 (10), 22-25.
- Horowitz, J, Murphy, C. Gregory, K., Wojcik, J., Pulcini, J, Solon, L. (2013). Nurse home visits improve maternal-infant interaction and decrease postpartum depression severity. JOGNN,42, 287-300. DOI: 10.1111/1552-6909.12038.
- Pulcini, J. (2013). Update on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: Milestones and challenges in implementing the ACA. American Journal of Nursing, 113(4), 25-27.
- Graziano, M. & Pulcini, J. (2013) Gun violence and the role of health care: A confusing state of affairs. American Journal of Nursing, 113 (9), 23-25.
- Pulcini, J. (2013). The Nursing report that didn’t just ‘sit on a shelf’. AJN Blogpost.
- Pulcini, J. (2014). Interview with a nursing policy leader: A hopeful look a changing profession. American Journal of Nursing, 114 (1), 19-22.
- Kowitlawakul, Y., Chan, S., Pulcini, J., Wang, Wenru. (2014). Factors Influencing Nursing Students' Acceptance of Electronic Health Records for Nursing Education (EHRNE) Software Program. Nurse Education Today. 35, 189–194.
- Pulcini, J. (2014). The ACA in 2014: Significant gains; Ongoing challenges. AJN, 114(12), 21-24.
- Sonenberg, A. Knepper, H., Pulcini, J. (2015). Implementing the ACA: The influence of Nurse Practitioner regulatory policies on workforce, access to care, and primary care health outcomes. Poverty and Public Policy, 7 (4), 336–356.
- Horowitz, J., Murphy, C., Gregory, K, Wojcik, J., Pulcini, J., Solon, L. (In Press) Relationship between postpartum depression screening: Symptom severity and treatment rates. Journal Horizonte De Enfermeria
- Zug, K., Cassiani, S., Pulcini, J. Bassolabre -Garcia, A., Aguirre- Boza, F, Park, J. (2016). Advanced practice nursing in Latin America and the Caribbean: Regulation, education and practice. Latin American Journal of Nursing, 24.
- Oldenburger, D., Cassiani, S. Bryant-Lukosius, D., Valaitis, R., Baumann, A., Pulcini, J., Martin-Misener, R. (In Press). Implementation strategy for Advanced Practice Nursing in primary care in Latin America and the Caribbean. PanAmerican Journal of Public Health
- Lifetime Achievement Award — Massachusetts Coalition of Nurse Practitioners (Inaugural Award, 2011)
- Panelist — Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Technical Expert Panel (2011 – 2013)
- Giving Circle Humanitarian Award — American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Foundation (2012)
- Nursing Research Advisory Committee Member — National Association of School Nursing (2013)
- Nursing Research Advisory Committee Member, Childrens — National Medical Center (2014)
- AANP Advocate State Award for Excellence for District of Columbia — (2016)