Dr. Karen S. Kesten
- Associate Professor
- Foggy Bottom Campus
- 1919 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, D.C. 20006
- [email protected]
Karen S. Kesten, DNP, APRN, FAAN, CCNS, CNE, CCRN-K is a licensed Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, a certified Acute and Critical Care Clinical Nurse Specialist, and a Certified Nurse Educator. Dr. Kesten most recently served as the Director of Faculty Initiatives at the American Association of Colleges of Nursing and as the liaison for the work of the APRN Clinical Training Task Force, the AACN Competency-based Education for Doctoral Prepared APRN Work Group, the Implementation of the DNP Task Force and the Task Force on Defining the Scholarship of Academic Nursing. She also designed and implemented innovative and engaging learning experiences for members of American Association of Colleges of Nursing to include faculty development conferences, webinars, tool kits, community collaboration and leadership development programs.
Academically, Dr. Kesten was an Associate Professor at Georgetown University and was the Program Director for the Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner and Clinical Nurse Specialist program. She played a critical role in the design, development and launch of the graduate distance learning programs and the DNP program at Georgetown University. Dr. Kesten currently serves as Chair on the Board of Directors for the Certification Corporation for the American Association of Critical Care Nurses.
- Innovative teaching strategies
- Competency-based education and advanced nursing practice
- University of Maryland, DNP
- University of Maryland, Teaching Certificate in Health Professions
- Catholic University of America, MSN
- Emory University, BSN
- Fang, D. and Kesten, K. (2017). Retirements and succession of nursing faculty in the next 10 years, 2016-2025. Nursing Outlook, (accepted) July-August, 2017.
- Ellis, K., Wilkinson, M., Kesten, K., Anderson, K., Lyons, M., and Bondmass, M. (2017). Partnering to scale a graduate nursing program to increase the nurse practitioner workforce, The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, (accepted).
- Alexander, M., Durham, C., Hooper, J., Jeffries, P., Goldman, N., Kardong-Edgren, S., Kesten, K., Spector, N., Tagliareni, E., Radke, B., Tillman, C. (2015) National Council of State Board of Nursing (NCSBN) simulation guidelines for pre-licensure nursing programs, Journal of Nursing Regulation, 6 (3), 39-42.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, (2015) Re-envisioning the clinical education ofadvanced practice registered nurses. Retrieved from: http://www.aacn.nche.edu/APRN-
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, (2015) APRN clinical training task force report brief. Retrieved from: http://www.aacn.nche.edu/news/
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, (2015) The Doctor of Nursing Practice: current issues and clarifying recommendations. Retrieved from: http://www.aacn.nche.edu/aacn-
publications/white-papers/DNP- Implementation-TF-Report-8-15. pdf.
- Kesten, K., Brown, H. & Meeker, M. (2015). Assessment of APRN student competency using simulation: a pilot study. Nursing Education Perspectives, 36 (5) 332-334.
- Anderko, L., Chalupka, S., Austin, W. and Kesten, K. (2013) A proclamation for change: healing through sustainable health care environments. American Journal of Nursing. 113 (4), 52-59.
- Austin Gray, W., Kesten, K., Hurst, S., Duffy Day, T. and Anderko, L. (2012). Using medical simulation centers to test design interventions: A pilot study on the impact of lighting and color modifications on nurses’ stress and alertness. Health Environments and Research Design, 5 (3), 29-48.
- Daly-Bowman, C., Tola, D. Kesten, K. (2012). Providing safe passage: rapid sequence intubation for advanced practice nurses, AACN Advanced Critical Care, 23 (3) 1-14.
Kesten, K. (2011). Role-play utilizing SBAR technique improves observed communication skills in senior nursing students. Journal of Nursing Education, 50 (2) 79-87.
Gurzick, M. & Kesten, K. (2010). The impact of the clinical nurse specialist role on clinical pathways in the application of evidence-based practice. Journal of Professional Nursing, 26: 42–48.
- Kesten, K. & Conrad, D. (2016). Chapter 3: Defining the doctor of nursing practice: current trends in K. Moran, R. Burson & D. Conrad (Eds.), The doctor of nursing practice scholarly project: a framework for success, Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett Learning.
- Kesten, K. Brown, H., Hurst, S. Briggs, L. (2010). Chapter 12: Simulation in acute care advanced practice nursing, in W. Nehring & F. Lashley, High-fidelity patient simulation in nursing education, Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
Sigma Theta Tau Honorary Society, Tau Chapter, Pi Chapter, Kappa Chapter
Phi Kappa Phi Honorary Society
Wharton School of Business Executive Leadership Program, 2015
American Association of Colleges of Nursing
Leadership for Academic Nursing, American Association of Colleges of Nursing, 2016