Center for Aging, Health and Humanities
Embark on a year-long interprofessional certificate program to teach health care practitioners gerontology, leadership, advanced communication and teaching skills. Through the program, offered by the Center for Aging, Health and Humanities at George Washington University, you will:
- Gain a unique set of skills necessary in holistic and person-centered care across the health care continuum for an aging population.
- Increase awareness and teach practitioners techniques to harness the immense wisdom and creativity of older people in order to strengthen the care partnership.
- Increase awareness and teach practitioners techniques to incorporate person-centered care across diverse settings.
Cost and Eligibility
This program is free-of-charge. Professionals in any discipline who are currently working in a health care setting caring for older adults are welcome to apply. Strong candidates in their last year of graduate training (e.g. physician fellowship training) will also be considered.
Length of Time
The program spans October-June and takes place on one Monday afternoon from 12:30 P.M. - 5 P.M. each month. An emphasis on seeing the whole person, listening to their story and their values, and integrating creative and humanistic approaches to implementing person-centered care will be woven throughout the program.
Faculty members include representation from the George Washington University, Howard University, Washington Hospital Center, the Washington, D.C., VA Medical Center, and other gerontology experts in the area. They each come from diverse ethnic backgrounds and health care settings including nursing, medicine, social work, public health, medical humanities and creative arts.
November 26, 2018
December 17, 2018
January 28, 2019
February 25, 2019
March 25, 2019
April 29, 2019
May 20, 2019
- Center for Aging, Health and Humanities
- Community and Global Initiatives
- Center for Health Policy and Media Engagement
- Center for Teaching Excellence
- Simulation Learning and Innovation Center
- Health Workforce Institute
- Open Educational Resources
- Ventures, Initiatives and Partnerships